First off, what is a title tag?
A title tag is one of the SEO meta data fields. It is literally the title that YOU specify for your post.
It is important for two reasons:
- Search engines index them.
- It is the first part of your post that is seen by a reader.
For the reasons above, your title tags must both capture the attention of the search engine spiders AND capture the attention of your readers.
First I’ll discuss what you put in a title tag. The images below show where you see them in the SERP (Search Engine Result Page), in the browser window, and in the SEO plugin when you set them.
What to put in a title tag
- Pretend you are an Internet user and you are interested in the topic you are currently writing about. What might you enter into a search engine? That is your title.
- But ensure…
- You use your main keyword phrase in the title tag.
- Do not use conjunctions (say “do not” rather than “don’t”.
- Separate parts with a separator. Please commonly use “|”,
Now, where do you see it and how do you set it?
The image below shows where the title tag is displayed on the SERP.
The image below shows where the title tag is displayed by most browsers (most browsers display the title tag).
You set the title tag in your SEO plugin (I assume you use WordPress – if you don’t, you should).
Check out of “how to” series on local SEO marketing fo details on how to do it effectively. To learn more about how this works, click the button below to download an excellent eBook.SEO Needs Link Building