Your Sales Funnel
The sales funnel is a concept to help us understand the process whereby people move from being unaware you exist to being a one of your customers.
It describes their journey through various phases.
A very common model is the AIDA sales funnel, where AIDA stands for:
The basic idea is that not everyone moves to the next level in the funnel, which is what makes it a funnel.
For sake of argument, let us assume the following ratios:
- For every 10 people who become aware of you, 1 has a stronger interest.
- For every 5 people who express a stronger interest, 1 desires your product or service.
- For every 10 people who desire you product or service, 1 buys.
That means 500 become aware of your products or services for every one person who makes a purchase.
This is the basic idea of a sales funnel.
I’d like to say peanut butter and jelly, but it’s more of a cause and effect relationship.
Inbound Marketing drops leads into your sales funnel.
To use this website as an example, using the ratios above:
- For every 500 people who visit the website, 50 download the eBook.
- For every 50 people who download the eBook, 10 sign up for the free preview lessons.
- For every 10 people who sign up for the free preview lessons, 1 joins the community.
Inbound Marketing creates awareness. It brings people to your website via organic search, and thereby drops them into the top of your sales funnel.