This post is part of a series about the Internet marketing strategy I call Inbound Marketing. To access the lead post please click the link in the prior sentence.
Why is it important you attract comments?
Every time you update the HTML of a web page on your website, your website is updated. Websites that are updated more often rank higher in the search engines (which is why Wikipedia shows up in the top 10 for almost any English language search query).
When you publish a post, your website is updated.
When someone comments on that post, your website is updated.
When you reply to that comment, your website is updated.
Therefore, the more comments your website receives, the more it is updated, and the higher it will rank.
How do you attract comments?
The all-time best way to attract comments to your blog is to write good stuff.
Above and beyond that, the following helps:
- Ask questions at the end of your blog posts.
- Create a “Top 10 list” and ask people to continue it.
- I have mixed feelings about using this next tip for a business blog, but when you write about a controversial topic, people seem to enjoy commenting more.
- Not only should you reply to comments left on your website, but you should also reply to comments with questions, thereby encourage responses to your response.
- Spend a little time each week leaving comments on other blogs that are relevant to your business and to your topic.
- As people leave comments on your website, use their comments and questions as inspiration for future blog posts.
Although the ideas above encourage comments, only do those things after you’ve started posting quality stuff to your website.
You also need to learn about link building…SEO Needs Link Building