This post addresses a comment made in a recent article on Search Engine Watch which claims that a high quality website ranks higher than a low quality website.
A prior article discussed the idea that there are two different perspectives on website quality; the perspective of the search engine and the perspective of the human reader. They are very different. They affect your inbound marketing efforts (aka content marketing) so you need to know.
This article discusses the OBJECTIVE perspective of the search engine. By objective I mean there is no guesswork and nothing subjective about it.
For more information on how you do content marketing, click on any of the links in the prior sentence.
Newsflash: Search engines do not “think”. Search engines do not “read”. Search engines are DUMB! They do what they are programmed to do, nothing more and nothing less.
Having said that, below are things you must do to your website and to each and every post for your posts and your website to be of high quality from the perspective of the search engines.
For help turning your website into a lead generating website, contact us.
There are actually 220+ things the search engines take into account, but these 10 will get you 90% of the desired result.
- Set the website tagling using 10 words or less. It must describe the topic of the website. The words in each post must align.
- Pick good titles for your posts. What phrase would YOU search for to find the post? Use that as your title.
- Use your keyword phrase 2 to 3 times for every 100 words. In a 250 word post, use them 5 times.
- 85+% of the post MUST be original content. You can not use exact phrases from another website.
- Every post must have an image.
- Your website and individual posts must have backlinks (write good stuff and give links and this will happen).
- You must link between posts on your site.
- You must link to other websites but only websites of the same or similar topic. To the search engine, outbound links are like citations.
- Some of your posts must be about timely stuff that is happening now in your area of interest.
- Some of your posts must be about timeless stuff that never gets old and is good reference material no matter what.
From the perspective of a human reader, quality may be something totally different, and that is discussed in a separate post.
To get started with your Inbound Marketing…..SEO Needs Link Building