Search Engine Optimization and Publishing
Search engine optimization is both the technical configures of your website and your individual webpages, but I find it’s better to thing of it as appealing to search engines when you publish.
The main point is you are writing for people, but if the search engines can’t find your stuff and don’t rank it well, very few people will ever find it.
Search engine optimization is striking the right balance between appealing to a human being and appealing to a search engine. You need to do both.
To Appeal to Human Beings
- Use titles that imply a promise
- Express your opinions
- Appeal to emotions, but don’t go overboard
To Appeal to Search Engines
- Ensure your blog categories and post titles appear in the post URL. In WordPress this is done by setting your permalink structure.
- Stuff your titles (not your articles, just your titles) with keyword phrases you think your desired audience is searching for
- Use a “related posts” plugin to display the titles of other posts after every post
- Insert an image in every post and give that image a good caption, alt-text, and description
- Have at least one link in your post that goes to another website (this is called an external link)
- Have at least one link in your post that goes to another post on your website (this is called an internal post)
Publishing is the key to Inbound Marketing success, but before you have a chance to appeal to people who are searching for what your website talks about (the ones who arrive via organic traffic), you must first appeal to the search engines who bring them to you.
Learn More About Inbound Marketing…
SEO Needs Link Building