The payoff can be enormous…
So what’s the issue?
It’s a case of money and time.
Until recently marketing automation software packages were expensive, such that small businesses were simply left out.
But that doesn’t explain larger businesses who pay the money, then do it poorly.
These companies simply don’t take the time to do it well.
The “issue” (if that’s the right word) with marketing automation is it requires a bit of both art and tech.
The art is the content you publish for your website visitors and prospects. The tech is the way you set up the system such that email A suggests people view video B then tracks if they did or did not, which then queues up email B, C, or D depending upon……… You get the idea.
So a good implementation of marketing automation requires:
- An understanding of the buying decision process your prospects and customers go through.
- A piece of content for every step of the buyer’s journey.
- Email messages to direct people to various pieces of contact.
- Tracking who did and did not open the email, and view the content.
- Decisions as to what email goes out next based on what actions were or were not taken.
- And you keep doing this as you walk people through the entire flow, up to the point of “Buy Now”, and beyond (this doesn’t necessarily stop when someone becomes a customer).
And that seems like a lot of set up.
In terms of getting this implemented, your choices are:
1) Hire someone to do the setup for you, which gets expensive.
2) Make it a high priority and let other stuff slip while you get this done.
3) Make it a daily activity which takes a little time (half an hour maybe) and gets it fully implemented over a longer period of time.
Since the potential payoff down the road is so great, I recommend that if you’re looking at choosing between doing it slowly over time vs not doing it at all, do it slowly over time.
The vast majority of us do not buy the first time we learn of a product or service. We need repeated touches and more information.
The power of marketing automation is once it’s set up, it runs on autopilot to nurture your leads.SEO Needs Link Building