The Intersection of Commerce and Journalism
Commerce and journalism have been intertwined since the invention of the newspaper. For a paper to survive, it had to be a viable business. It had to bring in more than enough money to cover the bills.
Legitimate news organizations have had to wrestle with (perhaps struggle with) a separation between editorial (the news) and business.
It is journalism in the following ways:
- The benefit of the reader is the top concern.
- Stories get published at regular and frequent intervals.
- Formatting matters (make it easy on the eye).
It is commerce in the following ways:
- The publication (your website) is focused on a fairly narrow topic or set of topics.
- Your desire is for people to want more information and contact you or perhaps to purchase on the website (depending on what is being sold and how expensive it is).
In the past, the business model of journalism was to build an audience then sell advertising.
Perhaps you want an audience of dog owners, or Mustang enthusiasts, or managers of customer support teams. No matter that focus, the journalistic activity is the same.
Isn’t Content Marketing Expensive?
It can be, but it doesn’t have to be. When you’re competing with bigger businesses with big marketing budgets, you need to work leaner, but you can not only compete, you can win.
Learn more…..SEO Needs Link Building