Search Engine Optimization must be THE core of your 0nline presence, but what exactly is SEO (and what stuff isn’t SEO).
This article spells this out in plain and simple language.
Search Engine Optimization is a series of layers (branding, messaging, blogging, etc.) that you do (day to day) to ensure that your business website appears in search results for specific terms.
Search engine optimization techniques can be categorized as follows:
The “best” SEO tactics in the world are for naught if you do not publish a steady stream of fresh and good content. Technical SEO is a requirement for being found online, but the best technical SEO in the world will not help a static website get found.
I can not state this often enough or strongly enough. The #1 key to being found online is to blog frequently and to blog regularly.
On page SEO refers the following (which is by no means an all encompassing list):
- Proper website setup (website title, website tagline, blog category names, URL structure, etc).
- Good strong SEO friendly titles that “sync” to your website tagline and blog category names.
- Use of these SEO friendly titles in your blog post URLs.
- A sitemap.xml file that is automatically updated when you make changes to the website.
- Ensuring your blog posts properly contain both internal and external links.
- Ensure a good SEO friendly internal link structure to your website.
Off page SEO is everything you do not have direct control over.
In terms of direct SEO benefit, the main things are:
- Links to your content.
- Comments upon your blog posts (some argue was to where this is on-page or off-page, but you don’t directly control them so I call them off-page).
And in terms of indirect SEO benefit:
- Social media likes and shares.
And what isn’t SEO?
Search Engine Optimization is not about searching for your business name and having your business appear. If your business is not well know, why would you expect people to search for it.
Search Engine Optimization is about attracting traffic to your business website. Conversion is about converting website visitors into leads.
You need both.
When you are ready to get started with search engine optimization, remember it takes time and effort. Keep learning and keep publishing.
Learn more here..