Understanding what triggers motivation is a critical part of marketing. Motivation is the thing that propels people to take action.
Understanding what motivates your customers helps you better serve their needs by crafting marketing campaigns and delivering products that they want to buy.
The role of motivation to marketing
The ability to understand your customers is essential for successful marketing.
You need to know what your customers want and how they want it. This may be the difference between making sales or not.
Talk to your customers to get informed on what struggles they face then create tailored messages which address their needs.
Customer motivation in marketing plays the role of predicting and meeting customer (and future customer) needs.
So, how do you uncover your customer’s motivations?
To find out what motivates your customers, use the tools you already have.
- Look at the demographic data of your customers. This helps you understand their age, location, income, and interests. This is a great starting point as it gives clues about who your customers are.
- Understand what catches your customers eyes on your website. See if customers are motivated by banners or storytelling content pieces.
- While eye tracking was once (and very recently) expensive, there is a new company out of Silicon Valley bringing eye tracking to smaller businesses. They’re gazepoint.
- Talk with your customers and conduct polls
- Hear straight from them what motivates them.
Motivation is a tactical way to bring out your marketing values and benefits of your product.